The General Legal Council has opened applications from suitably qualified persons for admission into the Professional Law Course Programme at the Ghana School of Law for the 2022/2023 academic year.
A public notice signed by the Chairman of the Independent Examinations Committee said all applicants who meet the criteria(below), as at the time of application, are eligible to apply.
The examination which will be conducted by the Independent Examinations Committee of the General Legal Council (Council) shall take place at a date, time and venue to be communicated later to qualified applicants.
DETAILS OF THE ENTRANCE EXAMINATION
The Examination is a two-hour paper and shall consist of two sections :
Section A’ comprises 20 (multiple choice questions), covering six (6) out of the ten (10) basic subjects required prior to admission to the Ghana School of Law. Namely:
a) Law of Contract
b) Law of Torts
c) C) Criminal Law
d) Law of Immovable Property
e) Ghana Constitutional Law
f) Ghana Legal System and Methods
Section ‘B’ will consist of two essay or problem questions, based on any of the six (6) subjects listed above. Candidates will be required to answer the two questions.
PROFESSIONAL LAW COURSE ELIGIBILITY
The persons who are eligible to write the Entrance Examination are:
• Persons who have obtained a Bachelor of Law certificate or Final year Bachelor of Law students awaiting their final results from the Faculty of Law of Universities in Ghana accredited by the National Accreditation Board and approved by the General Legal Council (GLC); and
• Ghanaian holders of Bachelor of Law certificates or equivalent law degrees from universities in the United Kingdom, Canada, United States of America and other common law jurisdictions and who have obtained passes in all the following prescribed subjects:
1. Law of Contract
2. Law of Torts
3. Criminal Law
4. Law of Immovable Property
5. Ghana Constitutional Law
6. Ghana Legal System and Methods
7. Equity and Succession
8. Company Law
9. Commercial Law
10. Any of the following subjects:
(a) Natural Resources Law (b) Law of Taxation (c) Intellectual Property Law (d) Environmental Law; and (e) Labour Law
GHANA SCHOOL OF LAW PROFESSIONAL LAW COURSE ADMISSION PROCEDURE
The admission process is as follows:
• The General Legal Council determines the number of candidates to be admitted to the Professional Law Course.
• An applicant may be granted admission if he/she has passed the written examination organised by the General Legal Council for the 2022/2023 Academic Year admission, on payment of the required fee and submission of the application form and all supporting documents required on-line.
• Eligible Applicants who attain the minimum threshold mark set by the General Legal Council will be offered admission for the 2022/2023 Academic Year to pursue the Professional Law Course.
• 6. Application shall be made by completing the Entrance Examination Registration Forms electronically on the website of the Ghana School of Law. A Banker’s draft for Four Hundred and Fifty Ghana Cedis (GHC 450.00) should be made payable to BOARD OF LEGAL EDUCATION to enable applicants obtain PINS to complete the on-line Application Forms. The Banker’s Draft should be pre sented to the Accounts Office of the Ghana School of Law.
• 7. Applicants shall complete the School’s Application Form on-line with the following documents attached:
a) Completed Declaration, Undertaking, Witness Forms.
b) A recently taken passport-sized photograph of the applicant should be scanned and uploaded to the on-line Application Form.
c) Certified True Copy of LLB Certificate.
d) Certified True Copy of FINAL LLB Transcript.
e) Copies of other relevant academic certificates and transcripts.
f) Academic Reference from LLB awarding University.
g) Character Reference from a lawyer of not less than 10 years’ standing at the Ghana Bar.
h) Two photocopies of a valid national Identity Document in the form of a Passport, Voter’s ID, Driver’s Licence or National Identification Card. (The original will be returned to applicant after registration.)
i. Admitted students will be required to produce a Police Clearance Certificate.
• 8. All registered applicants will be given Examination Index Numbers by the General Legal Council.
• 9. The decision of the General Legal Council in respect of the published results of the Entrance Examination shall be final.
The deadline for the submission of application forms is 26th August, 2022